Welcome Lambton and New Lambton Local readers. Below you will find links to web pages that accompany the “That was then, this is now” articles published each month. On these pages you can view the photos in higher resolution by clicking on an image. These pages also have additional material such as references to old newspaper articles, and any corrections or clarifications.
- February 2015 – Lambton Colliery
- March 2015 – Newcastle to Plattsburg Tramway Cutting
- April 2015 – The Dividing Lines
- May 2015 – The Many Roads to Town
- June 2015 – A Little Light History
- July 2015 – In Search of Paddy Lewis
- August 2015 – Post and Telegraph Office
- September 2015 – Electric Light Station
- October 2015 – Lambton Park
- November 2015 – Lambton Park Rotunda
- December 2015 – Church life, Anglican
- January 2016 – Maps
- A visual index to historical real estate maps in the University of Newcastle Cultural Collections
- February 2016 – Mosquito Pit
- March 2016 – “Hollywood” depression era shanty town
- April 2016 – Council mergers
- May 2016 – Mechanics’ Institute
- June 2016 – Thomas Croudace
- July 2016 – Lambton Fire Brigade
- August 2016 – The Omnibus
- September 2016 – Matthew Charlton
- October 2016 – Transport history
- November 2016 – Stoker’s Hotel
- December 2016 – Church Life, Catholic
- January 2017 – Maps, Bridges Road
- February 2017 – Drains
- My thanks go to the University of Newcastle Cultural Collections for maintaining a fabulous repository of historic photos, and for granting permission to publish some of them in the Lambton Local.
- Thanks also to Robert Watson for research assistance, fact checking, and inspiration.
Questions and Answers
In doing this research, I seem to find more questions than answers, so I have a page of unanswered questions concerning Lambton’s local history, and another smaller but hopefully growing page of answered questions.